Wendy is a Christian servant leader originally from the Dominican Republic. At the age of nine, she met a group of employees of the local power company who were on hunger strike to get better working conditions. That experience impacted her so much that that day she decided to dedicate her life to serve the most needed members of the community.
When Wendy moved to Charlotte 16 years ago, she did not speak English, was seven months pregnant and did not drive. However, due to her strong desire to serve the community, a few weeks after her arrival, she started volunteering with the three organizations serving the Latino community at the time: The Latin American Coalition, Mi Casa Su Casa, and the Latin American Women’s Association.
She joined Camino Church and started working with her husband Eliseo Pascual and Pastor Rusty Price. As a result of that partnership Camino Community Center was created. Besides been the co-founder, Wendy served the organization as their Executive Director for ten years.
- In that role, she was instrumental in the developing of: The free health clinic Bethesda Health Center, The community mental health program called
You Are Not Alone,and The Latino Civic Engagement Project.
- In addition to her work at Camino Community Center she found time to serve in other organization such as:
- Co-founder of the University City Family Zone
- Co-founder of the Latino Clergy Faith and Health Coalition
- Member of Community Council Green Light Fund Charlotte
- Co-founder and member of the board of advisors of El Puente Hispano
- Leader of Latino Tu Voto Cuenta – Latino, your vote counts campaign
Wendy holds a bachelor’s degree in journalism and social communication from the Autonomy University of Santo Domingo and a post-graduate degree in Community Development from Pontifical Catholic University. She is currently in Graduate school at UNC Charlotte.
She has been married to her best friend and supporter Eliseo Pascual for 21 years, and they have three smart and energetic sons: Yarince, Nelson and Marcos.